HB V

is older than it's ever been and now it's even older

4/23/2001

A done deal


Last Friday, shortly after leaving the confines of the dank dungeon I call Work, I arrived home to find a letter from the University of Minnesota Law School. I would quote it, but seeing as it’s now absorbing moisture from some sort of decaying vegetable matter, I can’t. What it said is that they are deferring the decision of my acceptance or rejection until at least May 31, when I will likely be offered a position on their waitlist. Fat chance. What sort of person gets to wait that long before they can tell other schools whether they will be matriculating at their institutions? So, another stupid school gets my eternal ire by denying me admission. But, revenge is a dish best served cold, and I will be sure to wait at least thirty years before I get them.

So, to Hamline I will go to law school. I’ll cheerfully accept their scholarship, graduate with no or little additional student debt, and remember that I am so lucky to be doing this in the US of A instead of growing up in, oh, say East Jerusalem. I’m mainly just bitter I paid $40 for the right to be told I wasn’t good enough for them. Hmmph. I’m not hurt.

Links updates, blah blah blah


I stumbled upon this examination of the Jesse Ventura Playboy Interview Controversy that gripped this fine state a year and a half ago. This is the one where he got into a bunch of trouble because of such statements as:

Organized religion is a sham and a crutch for weak-minded people who need strength in numbers. It tells people to go out and stick their noses in other people's business. I want to live by the golden rule: Treat others as you'd want them to treat you. The religious right wants to tell people how to live.


Jesse continues to be a baffling political figure. On one hand, I think he’s got some puzzling political proclivities (such as wanting to put more guns in citizens’ pockets, and capping car titling fees for wealthy people). However, I’m with him on some key points:
1. The government shouldn’t pay money for new sports stadiums.
2. Flood relief should be of the permanent variety. (Don’t build in floodplains, you morons.)
3. It might be all right to not increase funds to the University of Minnesota by double digit percentiles every year.
4. Telling the truth is preferable to listening to focus groups all the time.
One final note not-quite-on the subject, some new research sheds extra light on religion. From the impeccable Null Device.
Oh, shit. I guess we have good reason to worry about smallpox.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home