HB V

is older than it's ever been and now it's even older

9/04/2001

The company of old men


(This bloggage owes much to Jeff Shaw, who has also taken over my much neglected project the Debater’s Corner. Debaters of all levels, or the curious, should check it out.)


After the much discussed election of 2000, it appeared briefly that the Republicans would control all facets of government, seeing as they had maintained control of the House, seized the White House through an ideological coup of the Supreme Court, and tied in the Senate. However, as Maggie says, “Thank you Jeffords,” in the defection that gave the upper house of our legislature to the Democratic party. I may not have much respect for the Democrats, but the Republicans are just meaner.

Now three of the most reviled Republicans have confirmed they will be out of the Senate next year. The latest, Phil Gramm, is the least well known but perhaps the most insidious. His seat will undoubtedly be won by another Republican, but few could be as ideologically fanatical about tax issues than Gramm. He was the biggest voice pushing for the ill-conceived Bush tax plan in the Senate, and has been pushing the supply-side gospel in the Senate since 1978.

Even his colleagues now admit that Strom Thurmond isn’t all there anymore. As mentioned, I saw Strom on the Senate floor when I visited Washington in 1991, and he didn’t look alive then; more like an animatronic puppet. He was being led around by nubile young interns who probably kept him going with their mere presence. After all, Strom’s virility and lecherousness was as legendary as his racism, which he at least had the decency to recant after the civil rights movement changed the heart of America. Nonetheless, few of those that advocate progressive causes will weep for Strom’s retirement.

And then there’s Jesse Helms, the last unrepentent racist left in Congress. As late as two elections ago he was pushing racial buttons in a cynical attempt to divide white and black voters and scare the white working class into voting for him. Remember the ad where the white hands crumpled the rejection letter and the voiceover intoned “you needed that job and were better qualified, but they had to give it to a minority.” That was Jesse. Even Strom apologized for his race-baiting, but Jesse never has. Don’t let the door hit you in the rump on the way out, Helms. Laugh at him through this Onion infographic, and pray that someday his car gets broken down in a bad neighborhood in Charlotte.

First week down

So I’ve now finished a whole week of Law School. What to say… Hmm. So far, my biggest problem has been restraining my smile that keeps breaking out unbidden when I am in the middle of class. I am having so much fun, and I really appreciate this in a way that most people who never take any time off of school possibly could. I also understand the value of education more than most people my age. When you work four years in the “Real World,” paying rent, getting a mortgage, and understanding the burden of debt you begin to realize what education is really worth. I am more motivated for this than for anything, ever. I remain convinced that this is the correct thing to do and for the first time in a long time I know that I’m on the right track. I do know that the whole journey of Law School is not likely to come as easy as the beginning, and that I am likely to get discouraged or feel overworked. But when that happens, I know I have a reservoir of resolve to come back to, which is the memory of how miserable working in the dank basement of the parts warehouse made me feel. I know my enemy, and it is complacency and status quo.


Oh, and please do your part to FREE TV’S WIL WHEATON. That is all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home